Thursday, March 29, 2018

The Perfect Place to Live

The Perfect Place to Live





Have you ever watched one of those tiny house programs on TV?  An entire episode will feature a person or couple looking for a house that ranges from 100- 400 square feet. Though I enjoy the space saving and organization tips offered on these shows, I think, "Bless your sweet, young hearts" when the prospective tiny house buyers are newlyweds.

I could probably live in a tiny house - alone - with my own "stuff". However, adding my husband of 22 yrs & all of his "stuff" into the mix, would pose a bit of a problem.  I imagine the potential for volatile interaction is very high.  Seriously, I am getting annoyed just thinking about it.

Home is the central point for life and family. It is the place we rest, the place we feel safe, eat meals, relax and the place where we keep our "stuff", both important and valuable things, as well as unimportant, even silly things.


This young man is very valuable.
He is displaying a few samples of his silly hat collection.

Whether you have a tiny house, an apartment or maybe a mansion, you need a place to hold your things, feel safe and to rest.

Of course, my friend, you know I don't just mean physically.  Your heart and mind need rest. Your soul needs a place for your "stuff”.

Psalm 91:1 (NLT)
Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

When we don't make the Most High our "home", we have to find other places for our "stuff". We have to build our own protection and make our own types of rest.
This self-made "protection" is not gentle and secure.  
This "rest" cannot truly rejuvenate your soul.
And our stuff?  
Where are we going to put it?  
What can we do with pain, hardship, frustration? As well as our daily details and dreams for the future?
Without God as our dwelling place, the best we can do with our stuff is a lot like putting things in a messy closet or a junk drawer.  Everything looks fine on the outside. But, nobody wants their clutter revealed. Plus, it is incredibly frustrating when you eventually have to deal with those messy areas.  


Even though I understand what it means to live in God's shelter, if I'm being perfectly honest, I have a few "junk drawers" where things fly out sometimes.  There are situations I have tried to ignore or attitudes I don't actually want to talk over with God.  There are some things I just don't want to bring into my “living space” with God.  For example, I tend to judge the judgmental. Ha - Do you see what I'm doing?  Seriously, I think I am so much more enlightened than them.  I ignore my own pride and judgment.  I am not even going to mention the things that show up in my thought bubble. They pass through my mind before I realize it. Perhaps since they don't come out of my mouth, they don't count. I'm pretty sure I should get credit for not saying everything that pops into my head. Ugh - Now that I have written this, I'm going to have to take it to the One who loves me. I am going to have to bring it into my “living space” and discuss the cause of my pride with my loving Father.  The "shelter of the Most High" is clutter free.  He will gladly help me find a place for my stuff and help me get rid of the things I should not keep.



Friend, your Father wants you to rest and not live in fear. He wants you to give Him your "stuff". He wants to laugh with you because He delights in you.  He wants to give you peace when you are hurting and security when you don't understand.  He wants to be the place where you truly live.


How do you "live in the shelter of the Most High"?  - Draw near to God. He will always draw near to you.
Stay close to Him. Continually talk to Him. Be still, listen and rest.  Pour out your heart to Him. Tell Him what you love, what scares you and even what annoys you (like the judgmental people😜) Listen to worship music or scripture on a Bible app. Read the words and advice your Father has given you. Tell God you want Him to be your dwelling place. He will show you just what to do.  

If you have a Bible or a Bible app on your phone, go ahead and read all of Psalm 91.

The chapter goes on to give other benefits to making God, Most High, your home - refuge, trust, security and comfort.  

Look at vs 4. He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wing.  His faithful promises are your armor and protection

That place a baby bird dwells, right up next to it's mama, surrounded by her feathers, is a place of comfort and safety.  It is soft, warm and cozy. This is where God wants you to live, right up next to Him. You are his precious child. There is no better place for you.


My prayer for you today is that you will
Never Forget the Truth - You already have the perfect place to truly "live".





No comments:

Post a Comment