Friday, January 25, 2019

Good Medicine

In the words of the wise King Solomon, "A cheerful heart is like good medicine."
Ha - This means we can be like pharmacists for the soul.  

Sometimes a text or email from you may be just the thing to make another person's heart cheerful.
         * A call  * Asking to meet for lunch  * A thoughtful gift
 -  All ways to not only bring a cheerful heart to a friend, but to yourself as well.
    "The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves
       be refreshed."  Proverbs 11:25 Last week, I received an unexpected gift in the mail.  I was not only happy to get a surprise present, but when I opened it I laughed, clapped and danced.  
       Seriously - My kids told me I was being too loud.
When I called the 'giver' to thank her, she laughed right along with me.  
She was happy + I was happy = Good Medicine.

Whether you are the giver or receiver, the blessing is a cheerful heart.

Do you want to know what I got in the mail?  

It was from my friend, Lynette, who lives two hours northwest of me.  Technically, she is also my supervisor for Moms in Prayer.  She is the State Coordinator for Ohio. I am an Area Coordinator in central Ohio.  

As I opened the package, I literally laughed out loud.  
The week before, Lynette heard my heart as I shared with her how I wanted this item because of a story about King Jehoshaphat that I have told many times for the ladies in my groups.  She must have felt my disappointment when I lamented because every time I would bring this item up to my husband, he would say, "That is not a good idea."  Even my kids would say, "Mom, you can't be trusted with that."  
Humph - These people!

But Lynette knew how much this meant to me.
     She knew it represented joy and courage to me.
           And she knew she did not have to live with me, so it didn't matter if I could "be trusted".

If we are being accurate here, I do not believe King Jehoshaphat's army used this item.
But every time I picture this story in my mind, my new present is included along with a few small instruments, like a triangle or perhaps a tiny flute.  
In 2 Chronicles 20, Jehoshaphat received word that three armies were marching toward Judah to conquer the land of his people.  
                              He was terrified. 
He cried out to God and asked the people to fast and pray as well.  Everyone gathered in Jerusalem, including women and children.  He then prayed a powerful prayer that most would say started with praise.  While that is true, I say he was also reminding himself and all of Judah, who God was (& is)
- Powerful
    -  Mighty
         - No one can stand against Him
             - He is over heaven and over the kingdoms of the earth.   
Jehoshaphat then reminds them of the things God had done in the past.  
He ends his prayer by laying out the problem and acknowledging that only God can save them.  

Of course, God said they did not need to be afraid or discouraged.  
Of course, He said the battle was not theirs, but His.
They just needed to march out the next day, be still and "watch the LORD's victory".  

Fantastic!  The people praised God and worshipped.  At that moment, they were most likely feeling brave, strong and full of faith.  

Early the next day, as the army was marching out to meet the enemies, Jehoshaphat had an idea.  
The worship leaders should walk ahead of the army to lead everyone in songs of worship on the way.  
This was great………..
unless you were a worship leader who thought you would be hiding out in the back.  
Now understand, friend, this is just my perspective.  There is not evidence that the singers were afraid.  There is also no mention of instruments. But in my mind, I picture a quick panic in these men as they are walking toward the front past all of their country's strongest warriors.  I have them armed with tambourines and lyres (and maybe a triangle even though they are never mentioned in the Bible). Though my mind's picture may not be accurate, it does accurately emphasizes an important truth.
We are to praise God even when we feel afraid.  
I think my picture adds the instruments because it remind me of celebrating before we can see the victory.  Cymbals, dancing, stringed instruments and more are all parts of a great victory party.  So, this story reminds me to celebrate before I see the victory.  
Jehoshaphat's idea was actually brilliant. Each step closer to the enemy could have increased the fear level in most of the soldiers. But singing songs about the power of God or songs giving thanks for the great things He had done, would invoke strength and courage as they marched toward their foes. It would get the focus off of themselves and their shortcomings and onto the One who promised them victory. Making a list of things for which you are thankful or a list of characteristics of God that are personal to you, can totally change your focus. It can be the recipe for a cheerful heart. You see, God does not need our praise. He IS God. He loves us and knows when we focus our attention on Him, WE are encouraged and strengthened. Praising God is actually a gift for us. Can you guess what was in the box?
     
By now you must know that it is an instrument.


Yes!  A tambourine!

Imagine the nerve of those people in my house saying I can't be trusted with one. 😀💕.

I LOVE IT!!!
I got on YouTube to learn some tambourine skills.  I had no idea there were so many possible techniques.  I have my work cut out for me if I am going to be a tambourinist.
(Tambourinist? Is that right? Autocorrect keeps changing it). There is actually a series with six lessons I could watch to perfect my skills. None of those six lessons includes banging it on your hip or dancing around while you play it. I may have to come up with my own lessons to put on YouTube. I'll ask the lady in the video below to help. She has got some moves and enthusiasm, I could not rival. Oh Friend, how many times do we think about doing something nice for a friend but then get busy and let the idea pass?  What if that idea was just the thing to provide the good medicine our friend needed? 
Trust me, I am not passing judgement.  I cannot even count the amount of times I have let these thoughts pass through without taking any action, only to find out later about that friend having a personal struggle.

May both of us
     NEVER FORGET THE TRUTH..... A cheerful heart is like good medicine. We may be just the ones to help ourselves and others with that cheerful heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment