Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Corn Smart

Book Smart * Street Smart * Corn Smart





You have probably heard of the first two.  They  may even be words that have been used to describe you or someone you know.

But, corn smart????

My part of the country is known for growing many of our nation's staples, like corn, potatoes and wheat.  Therefor, the residents develop skills others around  the country may not have mastered as well, 
        like shucking corn. 


I had no idea this was a special skill until I moved to Florida. I was invited to a cookout with a friend from Miami.  We were at the store deciding what side dish to bring, when I grabbed ears of corn and described a delicious dish. She giggled a little but did not say anything until we were in the kitchen.  I began tearing the husks off of the corn and complaining about the pathetic tiny kernels. 
"I can't believe you call this corn. What am I supposed to do with these tiny little crumbs posing as corn?"
She laughed and laughed, then gladly shared the humor she found in the fact, her only friend from Ohio, not only knew the term "shucking corn", but complained about the quality of the Florida variety. 


Hey! In Ohio, you do not have to grow up in the country to have a lot of experience with fresh corn. If you travel between the 3 C's (Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland), you will definitely see corn fields and cows. 








Since that day, I felt kind of proud of my corn expertise. But this summer, my husband purchased 26 ears at a farm stand while visiting his family in northwest Ohio.  I was surprised by his correction of my corn shucking technique. After 25 years of marriage, it was clear we had never conquered this task together.

In my mind, I wondered if this is how he felt whenever I gave him driving suggestions (If you are a new bride, I do not recommend it).   I did not share my thought out loud. Instead, in a less than gracious tone, I responded, "Just because I did not grow up right across the street from corn, does not mean I don't  know what I'm doing!"

I know. Childish, right?
Perhaps, I'm not always "Midwest nice".

But soon I noticed he had finished cleaning four ears in the time it took me to clean one. 
Fine!

I swallowed my pride and took his advice.

  
Who knew you could get rid of the husk in 3 quick motions? 
Well, my husband did,

                as well as his family

                       and probably a lot of other expert corn huskers (They are not just in Nebraska).

Clearly, I should have been quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become..... irritated. 

But what about things more important than corn?
There is always more to learn in life, even about things we think we know.

True wisdom starts with a humble heart, a heart ready to learn from God first and then from others. 

One of my favorite Proverbs by King Solomon says,
"Intelligent people are always ready to learn. Their ears are open for knowledge. " (Proverbs 18:13).

It took ears of corn to remind me to be humble and keep my own ears open.

Others know more than me when I least expect it. LOL









My friend, we all have knowledge and wisdom that others need,
        just like they have knowledge and wisdom we need. 

Never Forget the Truth...... It really is better to be a listener.  

2 comments: